Phone: 08 8231 4169 | Email: | Find HCASA on FacebookFollow HCASA on Twitter

Phone: 08 8231 4169
Find HCASA on FacebookFollow HCASA on Twitter

hca logo

Consumers at the centre of health
in South Australia

On this page you can find information about how to provide feedback to health service providers, and to Health Consumers Alliance of SA Inc (HCASA).

Providing feedback to health service providers

HCASA encourages you, the consumer, to use the various complaint processes available to have your concerns, views and grievances addressed by your health service provider.

We believe consumer complaint processes can be a positive means of championing improvements in the health system, leading to better healthcare delivery for all.

Making a complaint or seeking feedback from a health service isn't always a straight forward process. When something goes wrong, we want to know that something will be done to make it better but it's not always clear how to make that happen.

To help make this a bit clearer we want to break down the process for you;

Before you make a complaint, it's a good idea to take some time and figure out exactly what happened. Write down some notes and get your key details. If you feel that you need someone to support you, ask a friend or family member to be there with you when you talk to someone. 

1. When you first experience a problem, talk to staff at the hospital or health service directly. Either a nurse or doctor you have had some contact with in your time with the health service. It's important to let them know the when/where/what/who of the situation. When did it happen, where did it hapen, what happened, who was involved? Try to be specific and include details like names and times of events. 

2. If you dont feel as though you have been listened to or your concerns haven't been acted upon, the next step is to get in touch with the consumer advisors/engagement team at the Local Health Network - SA Health have put together this handy guide with contact details and steps to follow. You can find that here. The consumer engagement/advisor team should be in touch with you in a timely manner to work through the problem and come to a mutually satisfactory solution. 

3. From here, if you still haven't received the outcome you expected, haven't had your concerns addressed or haven't been responded to in a timely a manner (30 working days), you can take your complaint to the Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner (HCSCC). HCSCC are an independent, impartial and confidential free service. HCSCC assists service users, their families, carers, advocates and service providers with information and advice, and can help people who wish to complain about health, community and child protection services in South Australia. You can find out more about making a complaint to the HCSCC here.

If your complaint is about an individual registered health practitioner or student, the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) can help you. AHPRA is the right place to make a complaint if you are concerned a health practitioner is behaving in a way that could present a risk to you, to other patients or members of the public.


Providing feedback to HCASA

The mission of Health Consumers Alliance of SA Inc (HCASA) is to engage consumers and health services to achieve quality, safe, consumer-centred care for all South Australians.

We therefore welcome your feedback - both compliments and complaints.

We aim to achieve prompt, transparent and efficient resolution of complaints. We also want to support your right to choose how you provide your feedback - in person, in writing via letter or email, or by phone.

You are welcome to call into HCASA to provide your feedback, or phone one of the HCASA team. 

You may seek independent external advice if you are not satisfied following our handling of your complaint.

Also, you can phone the Chief Executive on (08) 8231 4169.

If you are making a compliment or complaint in writing, you can choose to use the Complaints and Compliments Form attached below, or you can write a letter.

Please address your feedback to:

HCASA Chief Executive
PO Box 2248
Adelaide SA 5001 


The Chairperson
PO Box 2248
Adelaide SA 5001

Alternatively, you can email your complaint marked Confidential Complaint to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

At HCASA complaints are valued, as they enable us to review and correct any problems, improve our service quality, and maintain positive relationships.

HCA Complaints and Compliments Form


HCA on Facebook

HCA on Facebook

nothing about us without us