HCASA closed on 30 September 2020


On this page you can find information about how to provide feedback to health service providers. Please note, information on this page will not be updated past 30 September 2020.

Providing feedback to health service providers.

HCASA encourages you, the consumer, to use the various complaint processes available to have your concerns, views and grievances addressed by your health service provider. We believe consumer complaint processes can be a positive means of championing improvements in the health system, leading to better healthcare delivery for all.

Making a complaint or seeking feedback from a health service isn’t always a straightforward process. When something goes wrong, we want to know that something will be done to make it better but it’s not always clear how to make that happen.

To help make this a bit clearer we want to break down the process for you;

Before you make a complaint, it’s a good idea to take some time and figure out exactly what happened. Write down some notes and get your key details. If you feel that you need someone to support you, ask a friend or family member to be there with you when you talk to someone.

  1. When you first experience a problem, talk to staff at the hospital or health service directly. Either a nurse or doctor you have had some contact within your time with the health service. It’s important to let them know the when/where/what/who of the situation. When did it happen, where did it happen, what happened, who was involved? Try to be specific and include details like names and times of events.
  2. If you don’t feel as though you have been listened to or your concerns haven’t been acted upon, the next step is to get in touch with the consumer advisors/engagement team at the Local Health Network – SA Health have put together this handy guide with contact details and steps to follow. You can find that in the consumer guidebook (link to HCASA guidebook). The consumer engagement/advisor team should be in touch with you in a timely manner to work through the problem and come to a mutually satisfactory solution.
  3. From here, if you still haven’t received the outcome you expected, haven’t had your concerns addressed or haven’t been responded to in a timely a manner (30 working days), you can take your complaint to the Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner (HCSCC). HCSCC are an independent, impartial and confidential free service. HCSCC assists service users, their families, carers, advocates and service providers with information and advice, and can help people who wish to complain about health, community and child protection services in South Australia. You can find out more about making a complaint to the HCSCC here.

If your complaint is about an individual registered health practitioner or student, the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) can help you. AHPRA is the right place to make a complaint if you are concerned a health practitioner is behaving in a way that could present a risk to you, to other patients or members of the public.